A new term is popping up these days: the “She-Shed.” If you’ve ever heard of a Man Cave (and if you haven’t, what cave have you been hiding in?) then this is the woman’s version of this concept. A sanctuary of sorts where She can go to escape and that is designed with Her in mind.
A She-Shed is usually a converted shed in your backyard or garage that has been converted to a variety of different functional (or non-functional) spaces. Here are a few creative ideas to get you going on designing your own.
Remember, with She-Sheds, just like Man-Caves, there are no rules. It is whatever you want or need it to be. You are only as limited as your ideas (and budget).
- First, let’s debunk a few myths. Men aren’t the only sex that enjoy power tools, Sunday Night Football and poker. There is absolutely no reason why a She-Shed cannot be converted into a woman’s ideal room to enjoy her favourite sports team, have the ladies (or men) over for poker night or where she can store her most powerful power tools. So go for it, ladies. Put even the best Man Caves to shame!
- For those who enjoy gardening, a nice idea is to house all your gardening tools, supplies, and utensils in a uniquely-designed She-Shed. If pink is your colour, we support that. Or you can paint it green, or blue, or purple, or black. Regardless, remember this is your space. Have some hooks on the walls for the longer items like the rakes and the hoes to be put away. Storage for your seeds, your smaller tools, your gloves, and other items.
- If art is your thing, this is the perfect place to have your own little art studio. Who cares if paint falls on the ground and makes a mess. This space was MADE for that! Keep your easel and canvases, your brushes, pencils and other supplies in there as well. Whatever you need, this is where you can keep it. Away from everyone else’s curious hands.
- Maybe you just need a space where you can get some good, old fashioned, rest and relaxation. Read your favourite book, whether it’s a whodunit or a romance, biography or sci-fi. Get the comfiest chair and ottoman or roomy couch, put a cozy blanket and soft carpet down, set the lighting just right. Enjoy.
- What about just a spa oasis? A place where you can enjoy the calm and quiet, and take time for yourself by giving yourself that much-needed mani and pedi, relaxing with a face mask, have the girls over for afternoon tea (or adult tea) and gossip?
- Last suggestion, and of course these are all just suggestions, is maybe you want your She-Shed to be a Family-Shed. A place where the whole family can come out and enjoy game night, or a night in the fresh air, free of video games, cell phones and TVs.
Be sure to share your She-Shed ideas with us below.