Do you worry that your garage door is not functioning as it should? This is a common concern since most people are aware that this can be a safety hazard.
Before we go any further, you should always remember that you can call a professional service technician to your home to check your system and offer maintenance. This is often times easier than doing everything on your own, hoping that you know what you are looking at.
Tip: a preventative maintenance schedule, customized by a professional, is one of the best ways to ensure that your garage door is always functioning properly.
As a general rule of thumb, the more often your garage door is used the more maintenance it will require. Along with this, the more times it goes up and down the sooner you will need to replace some of the moving parts. Just how soon depends on a variety of factors, making it difficult on the homeowner. For example, one person may find that a torsion spring lasts them five years while another person needs to replace it after two years.
Here are five steps you can take to ensure that your garage door is working properly:
- Visually inspect all moving parts for signs of wear and tear (do this once a month)
- Ensure that all hinges, rollers, and tracks are clean of debris and lubricated
- Make sure that all nuts and bolts are free of debris and tight (but don’t over tighten)
- Run the door through an up and down cycle, while watching the parts, to make sure it is moving smoothly and quietly
- Check that the sensors are working as intended (this is one that people often times forget)
If you find something wrong with your garage door, you only have two options: fix it yourself or contact a professional. Most people realize the importance of appropriately addressing the problem, so they contact a repair technician who can give them the right service.
Note: hiring a professional is not nearly as expensive as some people believe. Don’t believe this to be true? Request a free service quote so you can see for yourself.
Even though you may not know the first thing about garage door repair, you can still ensure that it is functioning properly. By following the five bits of advice above, you can be guaranteed that your door is working as it is supposed to.