Many people only care about two things when it comes to their garage door: the way it looks and whether or not it is operating as intended. While both of these details are extremely important, you are leaving one out: the energy efficiency of your door.
Did you know that it only takes a little bit of time and a few dollars to improve the overall energy efficiency of your garage door? With a weather stripping kit and some basic knowledge, you may be surprised at how much progress you can make.
Here are five things you need to know about weather stripping:
1. It needs replaced from time to time. Does this mean you should replace your weather stripping every year? Of course not. That being said, any piece that is worn down is not doing its job.
At least twice per year – before summer and winter – you should inspect the weather stripping around your garage door to ensure that it is in place and doing its job.
2. Follow the instructions when installing new weather stripping. As simple as it sounds, there are a few “tricks of the trade” that can make your life much easier. By following the directions included with the weather stripping, you don’t have to worry about making any mistakes.
3. Purchase a vinyl garage door bottom as well. This comes in handy if your door does not close all the way to the ground. With this in place, you can be rest assured that no cold or warm air is sneaking in under the door.
Replacing the bottom can also keep out debris and pesky animals.
4. Hire a professional if you don’t have any knowledge or need the assistance of somebody with experience. Let’s face it, some people just don’t have the desire to make this basic repair to their garage door. If this holds true, simply contact a repair company that can do the job for you.
5. It can help save you money on your energy bill. Are you tired of cold air from your garage forcing your furnace to do extra work in the winter? With the proper weather stripping, you can keep your space warmer which will allow you to save money.
At this point, you should have a better understanding of how important weather stripping is to your garage door as well as your home in general.