Keeping your garage door secure is important. With automatic openers, thieves can make their way into your home much easier than you may think.
- Don’t leave the remote in your car.If someone breaks into your car and happens to know where you live, or you leave your car parked outside your garage, the thief can get in your home.
- Get a keychain remote opener.The remote will always be with your keys, instead of the visor in your car. This keeps the remote with you at all times.
- Secure the emergency release.You can maintain the function of the release, without allowing someone who’s not supposed to. All it takes is a few zip-ties.
- Use a deadbolt on the door between your garage and your home.This way, you still need a key to get into your home. Even if someone manages to make it into your garage, they won’t be able to access the rest of your home.
- Install a wide-angle peephole in the door between your home and garage.This will allow you to see what’s going on without having to open the door.
- Cover your garage windows.If you have a door that has windows, covering them will prevent people from being able to see when someone is not home.
- Padlock the throw latch on your garage door when you’re on vacation. If your door doesn’t have a vacation mode, this locks it so people cannot open it.
- Properly maintain your garage door. Making sure the door is not broken is one of the best ways to secure it.