Are you taking care of your garage doors as you should? If you cannot remember the last time you inspected and/or cleaned your doors, you need to drop what you are doing and add this to your to-do list.
Here are give garage door care and maintenance tips:
1. Monthly visual inspection. Stand inside your garage with the doors closed. Do you see anything out of place? Are all the cables, pulleys, rollers, and hardware in place? Does everything look like it is still in good condition? This can go a long way in helping you pinpoint any potential issue before it turns into a major problem.
2. Don’t wait to call for service. If you find something wrong with your garage door setup, no matter what it may be, contact a professional repairman as soon as possible.
3. Keep your doors clean. This may not have anything to do with the overall operation of your garage doors. However, you paid a lot of money for your doors and you want to keep them looking good at all times. A little bit of soap and warm water can go a long way in preserving the good looks of your doors.
4. Keep your garage door clear of obstructions. This holds true both with the pulley system as well as the reversing mechanism.
5. Lubrication. A couple times a year you should take the time to lubricate the door’s tracks, rollers, and hinges. With a spray lubricant this will only take you a few minutes. This will help ensure long lasting, smooth operation.
It is easy to take your garage doors for granted. Many homeowners think that they don’t have to do anything in terms of care and maintenance. While you may be able to get away with neglecting your doors for the time being, you have a much better chance of keeping them in good shape with the proper care schedule.