Nobody ever thinks it will happen to him or her. However, garage door accidents are extremely common. In addition to keeping yourself safe, you need to watch out for the overall safety of your family.
When functioning correctly, garage doors can be a nice convenience for any homeowner. Unfortunately, things can change at a moment’s notice. With so many moving parts, you never know when your door is going to break. If this happens, an injury could occur.
There are several things you can do to avoid an accident:
- Monthly maintenance and inspections to catch any potential problems before they become too serious
- Regular checks to see if your garage door manufacturer has sent out a recall on your model
- Keep your garage door closed when not in use
- If you notice any damage, contact a professional service tech as soon as possible
- Do not leave children unsupervised – especially if they are able to reach the button to open and close the door
- Regular maintenance is essential to long term safety as well as a garage door that is going to last well into the future
Many homeowners have a difficult time believing that garage door accidents cause serious injury to many people every year. In rare instances, these accidents lead to death.
Most people who own a home have at least one garage door. Although there is potential for an accident, this does not mean you should never use your door. Instead, you should learn the ins and outs of garage door safety to ensure that you are always doing things the right way.
If you have any questions or concerns, call a professional garage door repairman to your home. It is better to be safe than sorry!